WA Health system

Emergency and crisis

There are a range of services available to provide support and immediate response to people in crisis or in need of urgent medical care.

These include:

  • emergency medical care
  • emergency medical transport
  • 24 hour telephone counselling, advice and referral services
  • individual and family crisis assistance
  • psychiatric or drug related emergencies.

Hospital emergency departments

Emergency departments in public hospitals provide free emergency care to anyone who needs immediate treatment for a serious injury or illness.

Read more about hospital emergency departments.

Find out the current status of the emergency department in each of the metropolitan public hospitals.

Ambulance services

St John Ambulance Australia (WA)

Metropolitan hospital emergency services

The metropolitan hospitals listed in this section provide 24 hour emergency services for people who have had a serious accident or suddenly become ill and require urgent medical care.

View the metropolitan hospital emergency department wait times.

Link to emergency department wait times

Country hospital emergency services

Country hospitals and nursing posts provide or can arrange emergency services. Ambulance services or the Royal Flying Doctor Service can also help you access these services. Health services information can be found using the National Health Services Directory.

Royal Flying Doctor Service (WA)

Telephone services

Various telephone services are available to assist people or provide referral to services which can help.


Alcohol and Drug Support Services

The Alcohol and Drug Support Service operates four 24 hour, statewide telephone support lines providing confidential counselling, information, advice and referral:

  • Alcohol and Drug Support Line
  • Meth Helpline
  • Parent and Family Drug Support Line

View the phone numbers and email addresses on the Mental Health Commission website (external site).

Contact can be made by phone, email or online Live Chat.

Live Chat can be accessed at Alcohol. Think Again (external site), Drug Aware (external site) or Mental Health Commission website (external site).

Child Protection Unit (formerly Child Sexual Abuse Unit)

Family Help Line

  • Phone: (08) 9223 1100
  • Outside metro area: Free call 1800 643 000 (free from land line only)

Kids Help Line

Mental Health Emergency Response Line (formerly Psychiatric Emergency Team)


  • 9 George Street, Kensington WA 6151
  • Phone: (08) 9368 9368
  • Outside metro area – Free call 1800 111 546 (free from land line only)
  • Visit the Ngala website (external site)

Poisons Information Centre


  • Outside metro area – Free call 1800 552 002 (free from land line only)

Samaritans Crisis Line (formerly Suicide Emergency Line – Country)

Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC)

  • Phone: (08) 9340 1828 (crisis line 24 hours)
  • Outside metro area – Free call 1800 199 888 (free from a land line only)
  • See more about the Sexual Assault Resource Centre

Women and Newborn Drug and Alcohol Service (WANDAS)

Last reviewed: 16-10-2018

This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.